Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Surveys!

Surveys, surveys, and more surveys! In one semester I have learned about surveys and even conducted surveys more than I ever had before. Surveys are important to sociologists, public relations practitioners, and marketing researchers. After conducting and learning about surveys in three of my classes I think I can safely say that I will be an expert on surveys once this semester is finished with. This just goes to show you that everyone conducts them. Without a doubt most likely everyone sitting in our PRR 332 classroom has taken a survey from someone else including our Professor. Professor Laskin pointed out an important fact about surveys in our last class. He snagged a survey from a hotel room that when first glanced at seemed like a normal survey, one that they would collect the research and try to fix the problems the customers were having. However, when you take another glance you can see that the survey was laminated. Now who in their right mind would laminate a survey if they are trying to get results? Professor Laskin answered by explaining that this was all a marketing stunt, they didn’t really care about your opinions. They just wanted to publicize themselves in a good light. Lesson learned never try to write on a laminated survey, because they do NOT care.

Surveys are very influential in public relations research to gain information efficiently and are used in every aspect of public relations. This summer I had an internship at a theater in Baltimore, Maryland. The company I interned at constantly took part in survey research. I found it interesting that they constantly cared not only about the research they needed to conduct for major events or shows but for their own benefit of the company to see how the interns were doing. I received a few surveys directed at me, the intern, asking how I was enjoying the program and what I was learning throughout the process. After I had left CENTERSTAGE I received a final survey asking the interns how they enjoyed their overall experience and if they would have changed something. Sending out this survey gives the impression that they care about their employees and really want to do all that they can to improve the company and the status of the company’s workers. Surveys are the easiest way to conduct research immediately and results can be produced in minutes when the internet is used. So keep the survey’s coming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment