Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Blog Post 5

The focus of this blog post is centered on technology in the entertainment industry and how we can use unobtrusive research methods to study this correlation. Unobtrusive research allows researchers to study things from afar without influencing the process. This type of research method is beneficial because respondents are unaware that they are research subjects, thus are unaffected by potential biases.
Everywhere you go you here a beep, a ring, or a bbm sounding. I am curious what this new obsession is with blackberry’s? I conducted unobtrusive research and have noticed how obsessed and may I say unhealthily obsessed people are with their blackberry’s or with the Apple iPads. What will be next? Just by logging into Facebook I see posts from friends asking other friends for their new pin to their blackberry. Every day I have seen updates from my friends on Facebook from their blackberry’s. I even took a peek onto some of my friend’s pages and under their interests you can find bbming. I find this to be a little much. Maybe I am just a little jealous because I haven’t yet conformed to the world of bbm, but from my unobtrusive research I have found that people are constantly in front of their blackberry’s. It is crazy how a simple device or social networking site can control our lives.
Today technology is invading the entertainment world. The main focus of two new movie releases is technology. David Fincher’s The Social Network, is about the controversial founding of Facebook. It brought in 23 million dollars in the first weekend in October. From unobtrusive research on Facebook statuses I found that many people seemed to enjoy the movie and the fact that it is starring Justin Timberlake didn’t hurt.
The Joneses, is a movie about a fake “perfect” family whose job is to market off their brands and products to others in their suburban neighborhood. They guilt trip others into purchasing the latest trends and technologies so that they can increase sales. What they really are doing is hurting others by making them feel terrible that they cannot afford everything that “The Joneses” own. At the end of the movie their next door neighbor kills himself because he bought everything in order to keep up with “The Joneses” to please his wife and unfortunately lost his house because of this. He couldn’t handle the pressure of his wife being disappointed in him and thus committed suicide. I can’t help but to think, what if this happened or has happened in the real world? How can we let technology control us or affect us in this matter?
From unobtrusive research I can see that technology is invading our lives and the world of the entertainment industry and is not stopping anytime soon. Technology is extremely important to everyone and is one of the best inventions ever created. However, all I ask is that you stop and think about technology and whether it is controlling your life more than is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment